Friday 26 November 2010

in a snazzy youth hostel

I arrived last evening to Cancun, grateful to be on the same flight from Miami as the head of our delegation.  There are 5 out of 19 of us here so far.  We are currently staying in a hostel in central cancun which has free wifi and a rooftop patio with hammocks and a jacuzzi.
Today we went to COY6 (the 6th conference of youth) at the Universidad del Caribe.  There were over 100 youth there, from over 22 different countries.  I attended a workshop titled "a crash course on the UNFCCC," which helped to clarify the structure in my mind.  Then we moved from the the university to a hotel patio where we learned about the different working groups and met some NGO representatives.  It will be difficult to remain focused since so many different, interesting, and relevant things will be happening at the same time.  I might be involved in forests, making the point of 1.5 degrees C rather than 2, or something more strategic.  I went with Ethan Case and Valida Prentice to a meeting about strategy with youth from all over the world, which was fascinating but quite complicated and a bit political.
I'm hoping to have more clarity as the days go by, am sure I will.
-Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment